T3M: Enghin Atalay at UQAM, 30/04/2021
This is our fourth event in the T3M series (program here).
It is co-hosted by Université du Québec à Montreal (UQAM) (regular seminar series here).
Meeting Point: gt.t2m.network on April 30th at 3pm
Schedule (Paris Time)
|15h00||Poster Sessions (Gather Town)|
|16h00||Seminar: Enghin Atalay|
Before the seminar, we will organize a poster session with young economists presenting their research:
- Jean-Paul Tsasa (UQAM), Medium-Term Business Cycles and Labor-Market Search, with Pavel Ševčík
- Marco Pinchetti (Bank of England) and Andrzej Szczepaniak (Ghent University), Global Spillovers of the Fed Information Effect
- Ibrahima Diarra (Université Paris-Saclay) Sovereign Defaults, Debt Sustainability and Haircuts, with Michel Guillard and Hubert Kempf
- Aymeric Ortmans (Université Paris-Saclay), Evolving Monetary Policy in the Aftermath of the Great Recession
- Juho Peltonen (Université Paris-Saclay & University of Helsinki), Discount factor shocks and labor market outcomes in the Great Recession
- Malak Kandoussi (Université Paris-Saclay), The Lockdown Impact on Unemployment for Heterogeneous Workers, with François Langot
Then, Enghin Atalay (Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia) will present his paper: Firm Technology Upgrading Through Emerging Work, yoint with Sarada.
We propose a new measure of firms’ technology adoption, based on the types of employees they seek. We construct firm-year level measures of emerging and disappearing work using newspaper job ads posted between 1940 and 2000. Firms that post ads for emerging work tend to be younger, more R&D intensive, have faster growth, and are more likely to survive. We develop a model – consistent with these patterns – with incumbent job vintage upgrading and firm entry and exit. Our estimated model indicates that 55 percent of upgrading occurs through the entry margin, with incumbents accounting for the remaining 45 percent.